As you’ll know, water softeners are not cheap so it’s important to do your homework.
The fact that you’re reading this shows that value for money is important to you. What you also need to know is that the companies selling water softeners will often not show you the true cost of purchasing and owning their products. It’s not just the initial payment for the unit itself you’ll have to make, you may also have to pay for shipping, installation and yearly maintenance charges.
So let’s do the sums and give you a clear breakdown of the total costs of some of the leading salt-based and salt-free water softeners on the market.
|Brand||Unit Cost||Shipping||Yearly Maintenance||Installation||Total Yr 1 Cost|
So which water softener comes out on top?
Well, if we’re talking money there is a one clear winner. The total year one costs for the nuvoH2O are 39% less than its nearest rival, the APEC.
It’s estimated that these water softeners will all save you about $1,000 in the first year of ownership. That comes from the increased effectiveness of soaps and detergents, the longer life of your appliances and the reduced utility bills as a result.
NuvoH2O is, therefore, the only one of our featured water softeners that pays for itself in just one year. Knowing that you’ll save more money in a year than the product costs for that year makes the nuvo system an attractive proposition. And don’t forget, after paying for itself in year one it will continue to give you hundreds of dollars of savings every year after that.
Looking at the costs in this way should really help you make an informed decision about your future purchase. And you’ll now also see that in the long run a water softener makes sense financially.
Just think about the expense of replacing your white goods. It’s safe to assume that we’d all like them to last as long as possible. Using a water softener will increase the life of appliances by many months.
Obviously, when buying a water softener system, costs are not the only factor in your decision.
What about the warranties on offer?
Of course, the warranty length should be part of a costs discussion. Knowing that you can call the company and deal with any faults gives you peace of mind. The two salt-based softeners offer short warranties: the Fleck at 3 years and the CrystalQuest at only one year. Not very generous at all.
If you manufactured a product that you were confident would last for 10 years, why would you only offer your customers a warranty for one? Usually when a company offers such a short warranty, it’s because they’re worried about the costs of dealing with returns. Not exactly confidence building.
The salt-free water softeners are much more generous. Both the APEC and the Pelican offer quite reasonable 10 year warranties. That’s much more generous.
But the nuvoH2O guys must be very confident in the quality of their product as it comes with a lifetime product warranty. When you combine the best value for money with the best guarantees, then you can start to feel much more secure in your buying decision.
Having leaking water pipes in your house is not a good thing as this usually makes you incur huge water bills for water wasted. And while water leaks around your house could be obvious, there are times when the faulty areas are hidden and they are hard to spot. For this, it makes sense for you to inspect all of your house’s water piping system to find where the leakage is located. In this article, we take you through a do-it-yourself guide (DIY) you can follow to find water leaks in your house easily.
- Use your water meter – Using the water meter at your house is the best way for you to check for a leak to the plumbing system for your house. Here is the process that you will follow:
- First, ensure that you have turned off all the taps in your house before proceeding to check your meter.
- The second thing that you will do is to locate your water meter and take a look at the leak indicator to see if it is moving. Please note that the water leak indicator of your meter will depend on the brand of the meter; it could be small triangular shaped or a small wheel that rotates when there is a leak. Just remember that the indicator shouldn’t be rotating if you have taken the step mentioned above.
- Alternatively, you could simply just take your meter reading once you have shut all faucets in your house or simply shut off the mains water supply gate valve your house. You can wait for some hours and then come back and take another reading. If you notice a change in your reading from the previous you had taken then there is possibly a leak.
- Check for any possibility of leakage in faucets or taps – Most faucets usually leak due to worn out rubber washers. Try to locate the washer on the faucets and check if there is leakage of water. Once you establish there is leakage you will know that it is time to replace the rubber washers. Replacing the rubber washers is easy and once you have the right tools you should be able to do this yourself. Still, if you are not sure whether you can do it yourself, you can call in plumbing experts to assist you to do the work.
- Check out for leakage in toilets – Leakage in toilet usually waste lots of water and can greatly increase your overall water bills. Good news is that leakage in toilets is usually easy to find and fix. To establish if there any leakage of water from the toilet’s cistern to its bowl, simply add some colored dye on the cistern and wait for some minutes without flashing the toilet. If you notice some colored water in the toilet bowl, you will know there is leakage. It is time for you to call in an expert to fix the leakage for you.
Once you’ve found the leak, it’s time to fix it. Read this fix water leak article by SF Gate Home Guides contributor Chris Deziel. If you’ve got anything that you want me to add to this article, please do let me know in the comments section below.
A meticulously designed living room makes our day and visitors day too. A perfect proportion creates the grandeur and magic that adds aroma to our lazy afternoons at our space. Like a movie that is seamless all the way directed in an attractive and intelligent manner, a living room also is engaging and impressive. “The first impression is the last impression” and the person coming at your home judges your personality by the living room. Hence it has to be detailing and precise, however, it might seem easy but trust me creating a perfect space is very challenging.
Replicating is not the idea as it sometimes messes up, creates something unique according to your comfort and taste, that’s what is needed for turning your mood on.
Interior designers spent their life learning about home decorations. Sometimes we neglect small things which are actually making room tasteless. Maybe a painting on a wall is weird as per decorations or a lamp placed on the wrong table. This might be little things but makes a huge difference. Hence there are few designing tips that will help you in decorating your living rooms like a pro.
Basics of Living Room:
- Place furniture that adds comfort to you and your guest. Create conversation areas where you could interact with people without shouting. If the room is large divide the room in section creating more than one conversation space.
- Establish a focal point i.e. a luxury fireplace or a carved window or TV desk. Can be any which is attractive and central.
- Do not overfill your rooms. Let it be spacious and breathy.
- Do not let furniture’s touch walls. Pull and them and closer to one another for easy exchange.
Furniture Size and Place:
- Sofa and Chairs: These are big items and consume space so it is better to measure room and sofa before buying. Sketch room and then look for a sofa that goes along with your décor and space. Keep chairs at points where it does not block traffic.
- Coffee Table: These are practical pieces and the center of conversations. Keep table height short than a chair. It should be two-thirds of the sofa or chairs. I should not be too small or big. Make sure it is spacious enough so that people should place their drinks on the table.
- Rugs: Rugs amplifies room décor but people often make mistakes by picking small rugs. Furniture should always sit on the carpet. If space doesn’t allow this at least feet’s should reach rugs.
- Side Tables: They are not the priority but are important. Their choice depends on seating so that guests should pick their drink without heading to the center table. You keep it on any side of a sofa or between chairs. Do not overcrowd the room and try to keep it elegant.
Accessories and windows should match your décor and should be artistic. You can create an arrangement if you are unsure. Make use of your computer and try to get ideas. Draw a plan and then execute. Hope this helps. Good day!